St Devenick’s started in late Victorian times when the Bieldside area of Aberdeen was expanding rapidly as a residential suburb. St Devenick lived locally in the 9th century and his vision to share the message of the love of Jesus Christ with local people has been central to the church’s mission throughout its history, and remains so today.
In 1880 and 1881, under the auspices of St. Andrew’s Church, Aberdeen, occasional services were held in a loft at Bieldside Farm. In 1883 a wooden church building at Kenfield, near Mannofield, was used for services every Sunday until services were discontinued in 1886.
On 1 May 1884, a meeting was held in Cults for those interested in obtaining Episcopal church services for the district. This began the move towards the establishment of the congregation of St Devenick’s. The wooden building from Mannofield was handed over as a gift and rebuilt on the site of the present day church hall. It opened on the 4 November 1894. The present day permanent church was opened in June 1903, and initially known as St. Devenick’s Mission Church, Bieldside, Cults. The present church hall was built in 1969. Both the interior of the church and the hall have been redesigned/redecorated more recently.